Schnitzer Team 1987 BMW Group A

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by Dave 215DMX, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Dave 215DMX

Dave 215DMX Active Member

2. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

nice. except I dont like the rear wing and I dont believe it has
    380 bhp.

John

3. Lee

Lee Member

Car seems nice, but I thought that ex-works cars had centerlock wheels, and that the early M3s had the airbox with a provision for the fake AFM. Or perhaps the car started as an ex-works car and some valuable parts got replaced and/or sold. I am not a big fan of those high rear wings either.

4. Dietrich

Dietrich Member

I hate to beat up on any E30 M3, but yes that wing is *awful*. Additionally, what's with the cone filter? Indeed it doesn't look like a true Schnitzer car.

-Dietrich

5. 87 m3

87 m3 Member

Cost

The guy is looking for $80k Aus plus spares - have a handful of questions consistant with the observations here. Unfortunately he's in Perth and I'm in Melbourne otherwise I'd go and visably inspect. Will keep you posted.

Regards,
    Michael

6. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

That is far from a Schnitzer Team car as all the others have pointed out.

7. Dave 215DMX

Dave 215DMX Active Member

He does list the chassis number ! its not unusual for parts to be replaced over the years to keep a car racing when original parts are NLA etc. But yeah that wing is very ghetto.

8. conrod

conrod Active Member Forum Supporter

Perhaps someone ended up with an original Gp.A shell, and built this car out of it. From what I can see from the photos, there are not many original Gp.A parts on the car, the wing looks average and the wheels do nothing for it.As Lee correctly pointed out, "works" cars all had centrelock wheels. The only exception was the Prodrive built and run Gp.A rally cars. Top suspension mounts are not Motorsport, and because wheels are bolt on you can bet that the front (and probably rear ) suspension is not proper Gp.A parts. It is quite possibly a nicely put together car, and may go well too. But to pass this off as an ex Schnitzer car- I don't think so! Let the buyer beware!

9. John

It is possible to convert from centerlock to a 5 stud setup and still use the
    original DTM suspension and brake parts, e.g. the magnesium struts,
    trailing arms, front and rear brakes etc. I know people
    to have converted from centerlock back to a 5 stud setup, I dont think that
    is too uncommon.

What Dave mentions is also true: a lot of the early cars went thru upgrades
    while they were raced (even factory teams) and unfortunately, later on
    when they were raced by low(er) budget teams were downgraded again.
    So we sometimes see DTM92 stuff in an '88 chassis and '88 DTM stuff
    in a 91 chassis, some mix and matching, and also some non-factory
    parts. It would not bother me to run an 88 with '92 season parts, but Id not
    like to buy a 92 season car and then have '88 parts in it, thats 5 years of
    reverse evolution ...

John

10. conrod

Yes true, that is what the Prodrive rally cars ran, the mag struts with a 5 stud setup (bit hard carrying rattle guns and air bottles around in a rally car!) Looking at what to me is a lack of attention to detail, I kind of doubt this is the setup you will find in this car though. And I agree regarding the reverse evolution, nothing wrong with updating a car with later parts, but not the other way around- and I have seen it, usually someone building/rebuilding something on a low budget, bolts on whatever parts are easily available and cheap. Not recommended on an ex-Schnitzer car if you ask me!

11. evoms

evoms Member

The add reads
    Originated from a schnitzer M3 and that is correct the shell is motorsport and was a schnitzer car however very little else is.
    I have full history on this car if anyone is interested but won't get into to much detail on here

12. John

why not get into detail on here? there are quite a few people on here
    that might buy the car if it is the right one.

John

13. 87 m3

87 m3 Member

All - below is a transcript of the email sent by the owner.

I'm choosing not to pursue the car, my experiance is that these sorts of cars tend to have little intrinsic value (perhaps the body only and parts value)

email:

This car originates from the Schnitzer Car Driven by Ravalglia at the 1987 Round of the World Touring Car Championship at Bathurst where he had an accident in qualifying. The car was fixed prior to and competed in the race. It was left by the BMW Factory Schitzer Team in Australia (donated to the Bathurst Museum.) and then on sold to a private buyer. I purchased the car (rolling chassis) in the mid 90s and rebuilt the car over several years. The car was partly rebuilt at the time of purchase and had been changed to 5 stud. I sourced all original parts to build the car from Teams that ran Group A M3s all over Australia and the World - engine, gearbox, diffs, suspension, fuel sytem etc, etc etc. The only non - original Group A parts are - the Motec Engine management system because I think they used Bosch ECUs, rear - quarter panel windows which are perspex and rear brake calipers (non AP or Brembo) - they are light weight Mazda Series 4 RX 7 front alloy calipers.

I have a set of the original BBS gold web wheels as used by Tony Longhurst and Frank Gardner here in Australia - unfortunately the guy I bought the car off had attempted to modify the centres (3 piece wheels) to 5 stud and frankly made a mess. So they would need some attention prior to being used.

Documentation includes photos from the Bathurst Round of the World Touring
    Car Championship in 1987. Emails from Schnitzer confirming this chassis number (as per the advertisment) is one of their cars from 1987. The car is factory stamped with this chassis number (M3/ 1-42) and has the original Matter embossed FIA Homologated Roll Cage insignia (3.87). I also have the front quarter panel from the car with Ravaglia's name etc.

The car runs a 2.5 liter engine as used by Longhurst and Winklehock to qualify for the last Bathurst Race where M3s competed with V8 Supercars. The ECU is a Motec M48 Pro fully laptop programmable. This engine is the last of the Evolution engines and is a sprint race engine used for qualifying fior the endurance races it has the short carbon firbe ram tubes on the airbox with 8 injectors. Ralph Bellamy and Frank Gairdner quoted this engines power at 380 BHP @ 9,600rpm. I have detuned this to 8,800rpm for club competition which doubles engine rebuild life with the cost of about 40bhp.

The car has competed in Perth, Western Australia in the open Sports Sedan
    Car Class (CAMS licensed) usually finishing in the top 5. Last competitive outing was the WA Sporting Car Club Enjo Sprint Series Round 1 in February 2003 where the car won the over 2001cc Outright Class on the Wannaroo Circuit and set the short track record.

14. evoms

evoms Member

I don't want to start bagging a car or anything else in a public arena.
    However I have supplied a lot of gear for this car and was involved with it after the original crash and am very surprised that it resurfaced as a complete car.

15. conrod

It is not unusual for an original shell with important history to be resurrected. Does anyone remember the horrendous crash at Wellington in 1991- Tony Longhurst in the B&H M3 vs. concrete wall? I heard that the wrecked shell was taken back to Australia and somebody actually STRAIGHTENED it back out and rebuilt it - and that car was FUCKED!
    I agree 100% with what you say 87M3- a car like the one we are discussing does have little intrinsic value, apart from shell and parts value.

16. oscar

oscar Active Member

I believe that I was standing almost directly above that Conrad when Tony crashed. Damn that was an exciting circuit. What a shame we had so many narrow minded bleaters that put an end to what was a superb international event.:(

17. Rob

Rob Member

Why the hell would someone change the centerlock wheels and the rear wing ?

:mad: :mad:

18. John

If the car was later used on amateur events or track days, centerlock
    wheels would be over kill and unpractical. Many of the rally cars also ran
    without centerlocks. Centerlocks are also not really suitable for street cars.

John

19. Rob

Rob Member

Its just a WOW factor. :eek:

20. John

yep. its real "cool" to have center lock wheels. never mind your mechanic who
    is ready to beat you over the head with his airgun. :)

John