GB: CFK & GFK E30 M3 doors

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by Jake, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

How many more people do you need ?

Thomas

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

It looks like just me really. Gorilla said he'd do it to boost the numbers but nobody else has committed.

Jake

3. Revmaster T

Well if you need another set to make the GB work I am in. Sorry I didn't follow the whole thread how many sets do you need to get this GB together ?
    Maybe Markus could make it work with three sets. I also would like to have the rear shelf when you have the rear seat removed.

And my buddy wants the E36 inner door panels in CF. I need a price first though so my friend can let us know if he's in or not.

Thomas

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

:cool: I totally forgot to ask Markus about the E36 door cards. Sorry about that. I'll email him shortly. Same for the rear parcel shelf.

So we're up to 3 sets then. The supplier is going to make new molds for us but his minimum is 5 sets.

Now please don't get on board just to help me get the numbers up. I appreciate it but honestly if it doesn't happen it's not a big deal. Just don't want to guilt trip people into doing this. :D

Cheers,
    Jake

5. ronman

ronman Member

Jake:

Just to not leave you hanging, I'm 'on the fence' for these. 'CCA Club Racing is outlawing CF door panels on Stock/Prepared cars due to safety concerns over CF splintering on impact. I am worrried that a ban on CF doors in Modified class might be next.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

No problem Ron, I totally understand. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,
    Jake

7. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Hi Ron have you seen how some of the european race cars have a kevlar "screen" between the door and the rollcage? This is to improve safety since kevlar is "tough". since
    you are a CCA racer, perhaps you can speak up before they do a ban and point out that
    it is possible to install these kevlar pieces. also, fiberglass is much more dangerous than
    CF, when properly laid up it isnt going to split down the entire length of the part
    like FG tends to do. Ive been in race cares with CF doors, since you hear more
    road noise, you do feel a bit more naked at high speed.

I have CF fenders that have had regular contact with the tires and they have not
    disintegrated. they are robust. usually people assume that CF isnt going to handle
    situations like this, but its not so flimsy. im sure a FG version would have long split in
    half.

John

8. TrackM3

TrackM3 Member

Believe me Fibreglass can be made to withstand as much abuse as Carbon Fibre, i have watched weight tests being carried out on car panels and the fibreglass has been out lasting the CF, i am sure it depends on the manufactor, but i have witnessed this with one companies products .

9. John

If you make the part heavy enough that might explain it...

I think we agree that CF offers greater strength per unit mass than FG, even in regular wet layup. If we have proper heat curing the strength is increased. If the part is put under pressure and heat we gain maximum strength. Evenso, companies like Wethje introduced Kevlar on their panels to increase "toughness". CF also has better resilience under hot conditions.

John

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

Well, we're close to achieving the numbers. Markus said he has another person committed to buying. So we're at 4 if we count...

Jake
    Gorilla
    Thomas
    Markus's friend

One more and we can proceed.

Thomas, Markus said he could give you a price break on the E36 door cards but he didn't give a price. I responded and asked if he could quote a price.

Jake

11. wolfman

wolfman Member

And don't forget the way the weaves/cloths of cf are layed (direction)
    And ofcourse the type and hardness of the cf.

12. Revmaster T

Thank you Jake, I wrote Markus an email.

Thomas

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

Hi Thomas. He quoted 1350 Euro for the front/rear set.

HTH :eek:
    Jake

14. Revmaster T

Thanks Jake, I'll let my friend know.

Thomas

15. John

quite right wolfman, im assuming that someone who makes a CF part understands that the
    fibers have to have correct orientation as CF is very strong only in 1 direction, which
    is taken into account when multiple layers are laid up. Unfortunately some of the
    CF airbox copies in circulation show that this has not been taken into account! but
    the manufacturer of the parts in question on this thread knows what he is doing and
    they are high quality...

John

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

Well, good news. We have the minimum number of buyers and the order has been placed. The list so far:

- Jake
    - Gorilla
    - Thomas
    - And Markus has two buyers

The molds are already being made and he expects to complete the first set by January.

If there are any changes to the list please let me know.

Thank you,
    Jake

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

@ Gorilla & Thomas,

Did you guys want any of the options (Kevlar layer, door beam, plexiglass included...)?

Cheers,
    Jake

18. Sporty1

Sporty1 Active Member

A slider on the passenger side would be needed to negotiate M25 and M6 toll........ I'd hate to be in the que behind you at either of these. :51:

19. Revmaster T

Yes please, I rather have a complete door.

Thanks Jake :)

Thomas

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

Just checking, so you want all options? Additional Kevlar, door beam added, and plexiglass window?

Cheers,
    Jake