How much do you pay for gasoline ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Revmaster T, Jul 27, 2006.

1. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

yes I do. right now all Im doing is piling up parts,
    my mods are back logged now all because of
    a paint shop. I thought painting would be the
    easiest part.

are those shocks replaced yet?

John

2. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

How much does it take to get into the drivers seat ?? :D

Thomas

3. WMWNWMN

WMWNWMN Member

soon, i'm probably going to go with KW variant II coil overs and all new tie rods, thrust arms etc. I have a aquantance at ground control, so i'm waiting to find out if i can have him custom make a setup for me before i order the KW stuff.

4. Revmaster T

Since the prices have been going down over here I wanted to follow up and see if this is the same trend with you guys.
    Paid $ 2.33 per gallon yesterday :)

Thomas

5. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

i just paid $1.55 NZD per Litre for 98 octane last night.. it was around high $1.70's the other month.

Don't know how that converts for you.

Laurence.

6. josem3

josem3 Member

Thomas,

It has to be Wal-Mart or BJ gas because I paid $2.39/gal
    today at BP. :D

Jose.

7. Revmaster T

It was a BP also on Hillsborough Ave. I think you got ripped off :))

Thomas

8. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

if its anythig like over here they seem to change the price f petrol all day long.. One minuite its cheep then the next afternoon its gone up again ?( does my head in lol.

Laurence.

9. winstontj

winstontj Member

How much do you pay for gasoline?

Ummm.... (i truly mean this in good fun, no offense meant) Posting a question like this on a forum with international members as a US citizen only validates their opinions of us!!! :D

I'm not in comodities but my profession is bond and equity trading so maybe I can shed some light. Futures and comodities all trade as gasoline trades. It's a wash - just because they paid $55 barrel (all us funds reference) and now they sell at the pump at $58 barrel it doesnt' matter. Its done as a cash flow measure rather than a money making scheme. Think about it, what if the price goes down? They lower prices at the pump so they are now selling fuel that they they paid $58 barrel for $55 barrel. It's done only for cash flow purposes. Moving back to the whole US image thing - although much of our price per gallon unfortuantly goes to US state and US federal taxes, you should understand what the rest of the world pays before complaining about even $4.50/us gallon. Again I'm not trying to be an a-hole here but seriously the dollar is falling, the euro is getting stronger and they pay more than twice what we pay! Other countries like NZ well they are jut about as far away from the oil as possible so it costs more to get there. (we'll leave AUZ out of this cause they're all the Crown's misfits anyway)

The US is the ONLY (free) country in the world who's government subsadizes it's petrol for it's people. We get a HUGE break when compared to the rest of the world. Think about it this way... when all you have is oil under your feet you build things like 454ci V-8 motors, on the ohter hand, if all you have is clay under your feet (bavaria), you do things like find ways to pump 1,000bhp out of a 1.5L F1 motor. Europe and the rest of the world are much more open to reality and don't have a size complex like the US does... Do you know that Ford wrote a letter of appology to Congress after it took the Excursion off the market?

That's my rant for now!

On another note... Does anyone know where I could buy some AvGas or Race fuel (something over 100 octane) around the MA/Boston area?

10. Ash

Ash Member

Just filled up, $1.24 Litre for BP Prem 98 in Perth, Australia - I gather it's cheaper on the Eastern Seaboard.

We hit $1.45 for a while there.

I work for an oil company, so you wont hear me whinging! :p

The more price hikes the better.. ;)

Ash

11. ///M_US_E30

///M_US_E30 Member

$1.89gal

T

12. John

are you sure the US government subsidizes gas for
    citizens? Somehow I find that hard to believe.

In Germany we are paying about 1.28 euro ($1.60)
    per liter for super plus (98 RON gas). Almost 1 euro
    of that is tax. Gasoline really only costs about 40 cent
    per liter (what the oil companies earn).

The european governments heavily tax gasoline
    and other items like alcohol to pay for all sorts of
    programs. Over here, its not the gasoline price killing
    us, its the government taxes. When oil companies
    raise prices everyone, including the government,
    just loves to point the finger at the oil companies.
    But we should be pointing the finger at the government.
    Once a tax is in place, it is never removed.

John

13. winstontj

winstontj Member

How much do you pay for gasoline?

I look at it as subsadizing. Others may call it "regulating"...

Bottom line is that here in the US, just like most other palces, it's the taxes that are the killer not the fuel price itself. Only the US "regulates" the amount of oil released by US reserves. SO if the price goes up and the people complain and whine about filling up their Ford Explosion the government will release fuel from it's reserves lowering the price. It's not that it's directly subsadized it's just that it's controlled by the Govt.

Few people truly know how much fuel in the US comes from the US - it's not all coming from the Middle East it's coming from Alaska and the Gulf Coast. Again call it what you like but it's regulated - we the people pay for the reserve stockpiles of fuel with our tax money, then it is released to keep prices even or stop them from inflating. You decide what it is. To the best of my knowlege (my brother-in-law works in the white house at DOT) the US is the only country that engages in this practice.

14. John

That would not be correct that the US is the only
    country who stockpiles oil. The major European
    countries all keep stock piles of oil just like they
    do in the USA. They buy up more oil than is currently
    being consumed, and the US has likely done that as well
    in addition to any other oil. The German
    government e.g. was just recently asked to release
    some of its reserve but they didnt.

So basically, they can influence the price of oil over here as well.

There will be a day when there is a more serious need
    for the reserves.

be glad you dont have to pay for oil in euro...there
    are more than 1 country that would just love to see
    that happen.

John

15. MMM

MMM Member Forum Supporter

This could in fact happen in the short term as the Euro has become a large influence in all the financial markets. Largely political, but the U.S. foreign policy *could* push the large oil producers in this direction ...

By the way, John is 100% right on his take. Prices in Europe only reflect each government's tax collection practice. In Spain we used to have lower prices than the rest of the EEC, but now we are @ +1,20ยค for 98RON so there is a trend to unify prices across the EEC.

16. evoiii67

evoiii67 New Member

As cheap as it gets...

Hi all.... This is my first post on s14power.com and some of you already know me from the E30 M3 SIG @ bimmers.com. I was browsing for something else and found this post so I decided to chime in....

Do you want to see how far subsadizing could go, well, come down to Venezuela. I pay for a 95 octane (RON+MON/2, I guess) around USD $0.045 / lt :D.

Yes, that's right, four and a half cent per liter. And that's using the oficial convertion rate, if we use the secondary market's rate that will be around USD $0.034 or three point four cents a liter.....

Filling a tank cost me between $2 and $3 at much.

That's one of the few benefits of living here but that's really one of the few ones.... You don't want to know the rest about living here....ie, politically and economically, that's a whole different story by itself....

Octavio.

17. Revmaster T

RE: As cheap as it gets...

Hi Octavio and welcome :)

Wow these are some cheap gas prices you guys got there. Thats unbelieveable $ 2-3 bucks to fill up your tank.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thomas

18. josem3

josem3 Member

Bienvenido, Octavio.

I'm glad to meet an hispanic person in this forum.

Saludos, Jose. ;smilie[75]

19. Revmaster T

We have a few more hispanic Gentleman here. Artik is from Spain I believe.

Thomas

20. josem3

josem3 Member

Bravo!

Bienvenido Artik. We are not a minority here. ;)

Cheers, Jose.