WTD Valve cover/ rocker cover

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by UweM3, Dec 2, 2007.

1. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Looking for a rocker cover in bad condition. would like to buy or borrow one (if in the UK) to take mine off and get it painted in EVO2 colours.

2. jpboost

jpboost Member

Uwe,

If you get stuck, I've got one on my spare engine you could borrow for a little while?

I'm not exactly local, but the offer's there :)

3. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

thanks, that would deffo help. Who would you trust to paint a rocker cover in EVO2 style?? (without breaking my bank account...)

4. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

FYI I had a customer that had a problem with a valve cover painted in the ECO II colors which was supplied by Korman. They where nice enough to warranty the cover and the new one I installed did the same thing within 500 miles it started to peel again.

Powder coating is the way to go IMO but it's not good on the wallet. I talked to a powder coating guy one time and he told me it's very important to bake the cover several times at high heat before you apply any kind of coating. He said it releases the fumes that are trapped in the cover.

HTH Thomas

5. evo2

evo2 Member

Uwe,

I decided to get my spare rocker cover painted using the white paint that BMW mobile tradition sent me, they said this would be fine. They sent me three cans and one should be enough for that. I would have done it but it needs heating to 160C to let the resin go off and Iculdn' get the cover in the kitchen oven!

It is being done Monday and I'll let you know how it went. I want to see how good a colour match it is. Some seem to bright white, not what I wanted.

here is the product from the dupli color website.

http://www.duplicolor.de/webgate/WG_5_2.nsf/ContentByKey/MDTD-4Y2SEL-EN-p

Sie konnen auf Deutch lesen, naturlich!

Kevin

6. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

The colours on my Evo 2's valve cover and plenum are fading. I'm DEFINATELY interested in a solution.

7. s14evo2

s14evo2 New Member

I did mine recently. Got the white powdercoated locally and then using pantone codes posted on s14.net, had the local paint shop make up the colours in cellulose. Then masked, painted and baked in oven.

8. What's all this then ? Uwe wanting to paint his cam cover in a 'flash' paint scheme ;)
    You can borrow mine if you need it. Let me know.

9. Sporty1

Sporty1 Active Member

To match his shiny new paint job.................:99:

10. evo2

evo2 Member

WTD. valve cover

Uwe,

Had the spare painted today. I just wanted it covered for colour matching and to see the finish.

I am pleased with the colour. On the smooth bits, i.e. the raised bits like the lettering, the paint finish came up nice and smooth.

On the rest of it, the paint did not leave a smooth finish as per factory finish. The painter said using a self levelling compound prior to the paint would leave a smooth finish.

As this is a spare to be put on whilst the original is sorted I won't be rubbing the lettering down. Here are a few pics.

Overall it was worth the £20 to see what the finsh would be using the paint only.

The paint is good stuff as it has a silicone acylic laquer in built.

The stripes would be a git to do, basically because of the masking required. Anyone know how best to mask off?

Attached Files:

11. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Yup! that's the only 'bling' part I always wanted to have :D
    (but if it becomes a real headache I will not bother......... and spend the time on suspension mods)

12. jpboost

jpboost Member

I wouldn't bother masking up the bits you want shiny. Just sand & polish them after. Not too difficult to do & quicker. I've done this before on similar stuff (although only with paint not through powder coat) & it's worked fine. I repolished all the shiny bits on my rocker cover at one point, I'll see if i can find a pic or two.

13. Hoofty

Hoofty Member

If you fancy going waaaaay over the top like I did, you could always take it to a machine shop for a skim...

[​IMG]

Silly I know, but at the time there was nothing more pressing to spend the money on!

14. jpboost

jpboost Member

Here you go,

apologies for the crap photo, it looked much better in the flesh.

[​IMG]

the polishing probably took less than an hour (including coffee breaks etc). Started at about 80 grit IIRC.