Which Helmet do you use

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Revmaster T, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

I need to get a helmet. So I have been searching and found a few I like they seem to run between $ 250.00 and $ 500.00 for a decent one
    Any recommendations be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thomas

PS I like the one from HJS AC - 12 in CF for $ 379.00.

What do you think ?

[​IMG]

2. empty

empty Member

3. Revmaster T

4. empty

empty Member

I think the F21-99 is about $1k, while the F-21 double duty is around $1100-1200 with a weight around 1300g.

The other ones I was interested in are the Arai GP5k or GP5w, but I have not seen the weights on those.

Did you notice that the helmet you are interested in is a M helmet and not SA?

5. Revmaster T

6. empty

empty Member

Thomas, nearly all HPDE, DS or track days require you to use a SA rated helmet. An M helmet is for motocycle use, whereas the SA is for auto use and has a Nomex liner.

See this for more info:

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#7

7. oscar

oscar Active Member

Darth Vader :D

Oh.....just ignore me....it's Christmas time :p

8. karlp

karlp Member

Just incase someone did not know the difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car helmet it is because

the car helmet is made to withstand direct impact when you hit the roll cage or windscreen where as
    a motorcycle helmet is made to withstand side impact from scrapping along the road surface.

maybe absolute rubbish but that it what i was told

karl

9. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Black is usually beautyful......till you have the sun burning on you. And Nomex will not soak up anything. You can't beat a lightweight crash helmet. Not only for comfort reasons, less weight means less forces are created when you really have an impact. Your neck will be grateful :D

10. jika

jika Member

When I will replace my helmet I will go for a helmet that supports HANS.

Even If you just buy the helmet right now I thing you will regret not go with a HANS healmet, at least I would. I thinkt that even if the necksupport if really expencive today the prices will be affordable in a couple of years.

11. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Im using a Bieffe helmet here, it satisfies an english norm
    which is accepted by the FIA (similar to SNELL).

I dont have HANS. but I was told I could add it to me helmet.

John

12. empty

empty Member

You can add the HANS posts to any helmet. I did to the Bieffe I have. The newer helmets now available have the holes to mount the HANS posts already there from the factory.

13. jika

jika Member

Nice! I didn’t know about that, I thought there was some kind of reinforcement in the helmets with that were prepared for HANS.

Another helmet related subject do anyone know how you know if you could paint your helmet. For my Peltor helmet they say that all modifications like stickers and paint on the helmet will make it weaker and are forbidden. I guess they have to write this to prevent that they will be suede and that some paint and glue will react with the plastic.
    Have anyone any experience or a guide how to airbrush a helmet and what paint to use?

14. empty

empty Member

15. jika

jika Member

16. jordantii

jordantii Member

I am using an Arai GP5W. Very light and has a slightly larger eyeport. Pre-drilled for Hans and retails for about $900.00. Helmets are very subjective. You need to buy what fits your head comfortably and offers maximum safety. I have tried the Stand 21 helmets and love the dual duty but I could not get it to fit even with the custom pads.

Thomas make sure you try on the helmet before you buy it. If you know your size I can possibly get you a deal on an Arai. I have a friend that works for them. I will need to know soon so we can get it shipped.

Best,

Jordan

17. Revmaster T

Jordan thanks for your offer but I bought a helmet two days ago.
    I opted for a Bell X-15 I think it will do the job :)

[​IMG]

Thomas

18. The Animal

The Animal Member

Revmaster T you must be able to feal the dark side of the force with that Helmut.

Mine are 2x Arai GP4, 2x Arai GP5.

19. Revmaster T

=)

Thomas

20. bavarian3

bavarian3 New Member

What you should do is paint it like a pandabears face....

See you at Turn 17.