Ring June 27th - 30th

Discussion in 'Track Days and Meets' started by UweM3, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Vazily

Vazily Member

2. Vazily

Vazily Member

3. YAN-3

YAN-3 Member

cool. any photos from Saturday the 28th?

4. StephanM3

StephanM3 New Member

Great shots and thanks for sharing!
    Albeit my announcement for being at the Ring in a previous post, I finally wasn't able to make it due to other circumstances. I guess I really missed a good weekend and the weather truly showed some of its best, as it seems.

Cheers, Stephan

5. TCB

TCB Member

Great pics - sounds like you all had a great time - pity I had to miss this one :mad:

Believe you bumped into a few of my pals in the PK :)

6. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

yep, met a few in the car park fiddling with a yellow's GT3 front wheel. Some link needed replacement.

7. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Yes, a friendly guy looking for the bartender who had disappeared asked us to help find him. He then noticed my Ferrari hat which may have prompted the question about what sort of BTG times I do and if I was doing 8 minutes ?

I said that was about right during a public day with traffic like today and with a passenger. Which caused a bit of a stir when this was announced across the room??? I hadnt even mentioned in which car yet, I thought to myself thats odd, how does he know I dont drive a GT3 or F430 or even a new M3 all of which are capable of that sort of time and especially if you run semi-slicks :)
    (its sometimes a bit faster and some times bit slower, but its a reasonable time to do if you dont linger behind other cars and pass off line and in the curves. carefully of course, you don't have to drive above all limits to achieve it. Im comfortable with this as Ive done a lot of laps, I dont have to think about the track, I focus on what my car is doing and what the cars around me are doing).

your name did popup and I mentioned I knew of you so atleast I could explain what an E30 was; "yes, the bag of loose bolts" (I forgot the exact terminology used). :)

John

8. TCB

TCB Member

Glad you could show them what a well sorted M3 can do :D They affectionately refer to my e30 as the "bag of spanners" ! as i guess it's fair to say it lacks some of the refinement of a GT3 ! but I also had the pleasure of shocking them in at Donny with what a 20yo car can do

That was before the diff and the engine rebuild so looking forward to next time on track with the Gt3 boys :)

8mins is a hot M3 time, only just managed 9 in min last time (first ever visit) - I got down to 8 in my RS last visit (50 laps total now) the car undoubtedly has more in it but in traffic it felt about as fast as was sensible really

9. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

oh yes, I mentioned the E30 was 20 years old as well. :)

With proper car setup and on a tight track they cant take advantage (as much) of their higher hp output. Porsche 6 speeds have pretty good gearing, so I think your 5 speed is at a disadvantage after 3rd gear. The diff will help a little, but its really the gearbox that is the problem.

I did roughly 8:30ish in an E36 325i with 180 hp, also in traffic, so the time can be nocked down a little. The interior on it was stripped though and it had a KW suspension. Still, it shows you CAN get a decent time even without tons of hp. However, it doesnt follow that with tons of hp you can get a decent time as Im sure you know. Things get harder with more hp, making the extra hp work for you 100% of the time is not a given.

I think your GT3 can do around 7:30 BTG safely especially if your running semis, even in traffic. I wouldnt strive to reach that time, it will come naturally as you do more laps. Id be willing to bet youre really fast in some areas but then give up lots of time in others. Most people ive met say that (me included) and they have to string the track together section by section. As you tune/modify the car or if you drive different cars, things change of course. I think it helped me to drive various cars.

As for passing, that is up to the individual. But if you want to go that fast you also have to be able to pass off line and almost anywhere on track. I try to "read" people. Im less worried about the fast guys as Ive found its usually easy to communicate intent and setup a proper pass so that nobody is inconvenienced. Its the unpredictable ones you have to watch out for. I think the airbox sound may help sometimes :)

John

10. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Oh yes :D
    I just wish I would have a little bit more oomph to stop the Ring taxi catching me at the end of Schwedenkreuz. If I can't take enough momentum right from the beginning I can't stay in front of the 507bhp before Aremberg.

Second that. I don't tackle sections I don't get right too hard. They suddenly fall into place at the next trip. It all get's better with more laps

I found that it all depends on the car you drive and setup. Since my car is more and more suitable for the Ring, I am able to overtake with more ease. I am now able to drive lines I couldn't before and that helps a lot when overtaking

11. autohabit

autohabit Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter