newbie in S14 love

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by mpassioned, Sep 23, 2007.

1. mpassioned

mpassioned Member

Hello all,

Very informative board here. I have been an E30 M3 owner since December of last year. I bought a fully sorted and race prepped car from a top shop here, RRT.

I have been racing all year, in NASA and BMWCCA. 12 events so far, and I'm going to Watkins Glen next weekend.

I have spent an ungodly amount of time, looking at all of the info ava here, and on the internet. I probably have only just scratched the surface. Joined S14.net first, and came upon this site, about mid year. I have been reading, reading, reading, about these cars, trying to understand the passion that is S14, and the E30M3! I see I'm not the only one with that problem.

Any way, I just wanted to say hello, finally, and say how impressed I am with the conduct of folks on this site. Very professional demeanor over here, compared to a lot of other BMW boards out there.

Cheers,
    Dave Hill

2. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Hello Dave and welcome :) maybe you could post up some pictures of your car.

If you ever come down to Florida make sure you stop by and say hi .
    Do you go to Sebring ?

Thomas

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hello Dave and a big welcome to you !

Yes...we kind of pride ourselves on maintaining an appropriate demeanour ;) , so thank you for the acknowledgement :)

4. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Hi Dave, welcome onboard. You will find a lot of track junkies on this board.
    Watkins Glen is high up on my list of tracks I wish to drive someday,
    along with Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca. If you ever decide to come to
    Germany to visit the Nuerburgring, do let us know, as chances are you may
    meet up with quite a few of us on any given weekend. We can help you with
    getting into a decent car to drive to sharing experience, to having dinner
    and a few beers in the evening and a general good time. This is not idle
    conversation, we are who we are, and we do what we say we do, hook up
    with us we never leave anyone "hanging" if in doubt contact me Ill make sure
    your weekend works as planned (as long as its a weekend we are there
    of course ! :)

John

5. mpassioned

mpassioned Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.

WOW, I have been reading about the car you just bought Thomas, You must be very excited!! I love E30M3 race cars!!

I haven't been to Sebring before, and may have to make the trek it sounds like. I used to race bikes, and did Daytona once. That was 17hours away, as I reacall.:(

Here are a couple pics from this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hey Dave, good stuff ! Tell us about your car :)

7. mpassioned

mpassioned Member

Thank you John,
    I very much appreciate the offer to visit, and sincerely hope take you up on all of that, especially the beer. Me and my Dad, were going to go over this year and try to drive the ring. We got a late start on planning it, and want to do so next year. We sorta looked into renting a car from rent-a-racecar.de I think is the outfit there, and also considered an event BMW does there where you learn a section of the track at a time. Maybe that would be best for newbies like us, although I have raced many tracks I'd never been to before, but the Ring is very long, and not something 1 could learn in a short time, I'd imagine.
    With my work schedule, and all of the track time I have done this, year, the planning on doing the Ring, kinda waned. So, next year, is a very strong candidate for attendance. I hope to know more in the coming months, as winter starts to set in, and planning can commence. I most certainly will be in touch with you, as we try to make arrangements.

Best regards all!
    Dave

8. mpassioned

mpassioned Member

The car was built by RRT, and was a showcase of what they could do for customers, as well as a top finishing car. It has an excellent cage, Ohlins suspension, 2.3l engine that was stock with 150k on the clock.
    I have been developing the car, by removing wgt, down to 2500lbs now, have sunroof still to remove, and we just went through the motor to freshen it up some. Rod brngs were done last year, we sent the head out to put back to spec have new guides, evo 3 springs added, and put in new Shrick cams 276/284. Removed the diff, snt away to Diffsonline, and had a 4.45 with 3 clutch pack and 25% lock (I think)
    New Evo III oil pump, engine drive chains, timing chain guide. It is a new car now, and very lively. pulls stronger up top. Solid engine and tranny mounts. My fillings are coming loose, but either I am getting numb to feel, or the car seems to be getting less buzzy. I have lost a few fasteners, so am in the process of loctiting a lot of stuff. Luckily I have not lost anything significant, and I think that comes from racing bikes, I go over the car often.
    Any way, time to go and put more time into the car, as i have a few more details to resolve before I leave Thursday.