Hello from Hawaii

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Giuseppe, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Hello to all. I'm Joe. Based on a recommendation by user Jeremiah and access granted by John, I'm here. Thank you John for letting me become part of the community.

A little about myself. I'm 30 living in the Honolulu area. I grew up in California and am originally from Italy. I'm medically retired from the military and currently work for Mitsubishi. I'm married and have a five year old son who is awesome in a go kart. I test drove cars from a few Rolex and ALMS firms and was a pit mechanic/engineer/coach for PR1Motorsports. I was a technician for BMW years ago although I do not retain the knowledge I once had.

On to the less boring stuff. Currently I am not a legitimate E30M3 owner. However, I do have quite a serious project on my hands. A few years back I purchased an 89 M3 that was beyond repair. I have been a fan of the E30 for many years an love the four door chassis. So rather than type, i'll explain with pictures.

This is the recipient car the day I purchased it.
    [​IMG]

First step, wheels.
    [​IMG]

Then I tore it down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stroked the 1.8L to 2.1L
    [​IMG]

Single mass (extremely noisy)
    [​IMG]

Bushings
    [​IMG]

Cams
    [​IMG]

Reassembly
    [​IMG]

Cheap Injector Service
    [​IMG]

Install
    [​IMG]

Paint
    [​IMG]

At this point I was happy with the car. I moved to Hawaii from California and discovered there is not a track here. So I decided I would get another project. In comes aforementioned M3. I purchased this car sight unseen besides photos online. It was completely disassembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get the idea.

Anyhow, upon further inspection of the car at the time of arrival, I knew the car was beyond reasonable repair due to rust. But I lied to myself for several months before selling off what I did not need. At that point, I cut the car up. But it was for a good cause.

Presently the car is being converted into what may be considered a four door E30M3. I know the car will never be a real M3 and purchasing one would be cheaper. On the other hand, I love this idea and I will be happy with the end result.

So this is the progress made over the past few months. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slowly the car is coming along. The initial project started almost 5 years ago. The c-pillar will be grafted on the car as well. The five bolt suspension will be installed along with an S14. The idea is to make the vehicle appear as is if BMW made the vehicle at the factory this way. For the engine I have been speaking with John about building a 2.7L Everything will function and appear as OEM. The only piece I may change is keeping the late model tail lamps. I am not sure yet.

I look forward to interacting with all of you and absorbing as much as possible. And thanks for reading all of the way through. This was quite a lengthy introduction.