BMW 2002 turbo rebuild

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by x-works, Sep 14, 2013.

1. x-works

x-works Member Forum Supporter

Doing some work on a 2002 turbo at the moment and have come to the conclusion
    that the turbo itself is most probably in need of an overhaul. The car puts out a fairly
    obvious plume of white/blue smoke when on throttle overrun when the engine is warm.
    Theres absolutely no trace of smoke during cold start which kinda rules out valve stem oils
    seals I guess, and both compression and leak down tests would seem to rule out pistons
    and rings as the source of bother.
    The impeller shaft of the turbo has a small bit of play in it but it's not huge. But I'm thinking
    the oil seals inside have probably seen better days as the surrounding pipework is showing
    a fair bit of oil contamination.

So, I've spent the last week ringing and emailing around to see if I can get the turbo overhauled.
    And this is where I've hit a problem. It appears according to the majority of people I've spoken to
    that rebuild parts for this old KKK turbo appear be be no longer available. After a few days
    tracing down who might still have parts I received an email from a shop in San Diego called
    La Jolla from a lad by the name of Carl Nelson who confirmed that they had bought the last remaining
    rebuild kits from Borg Warner (who now own KKK it seems) and have since used them all.

Was starting to think things weren't looking to good at this stage and then yesterday morning I received
    an email back from Carla Idelberger at STK Turbo Technik in Germany who says they can rebuild the turbo
    and I should forward it to them.
    I've since sent a reply asking can they confirm they have access to the rebuild parts for this specific turbo
    as I'd like to be sure before I start mailing this thing across europe.
    What I'd like a little help with if anybody on here can chime in is have you heard of or had dealing with
    STK Turbo Technik before?
    It would be comforting hearing a little feedback before sending the turbo over.
    Or, alternatively has anybody had a 2002 turbo rebuilt before?
    Any comments welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Brian Kalsi

Brian Kalsi New Member

Not sure if you completed your build but after a complete rebuild of my motor with all relevant test done ., i also homed into a glitch with the turbo and found the seals had perished and were supplied by a UK based company. Can find out the name as they supplied part of the turbo ......and claimed to have most items to put this kkk right.......

3. Brian Kalsi

Brian Kalsi New Member

AET Engineering Ltd Normanton Industrial Estate, Unit 14 Beckbridge Road Wakefield WF6 1TE...........they are very useful

4. x-works

x-works Member Forum Supporter

Thats fantastic, thanks for taking the time to reply. [​IMG]