4x4 Cruise

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Old_skool_bmw, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Hey guys,
    thought I would post some pics up of my weekend. I just picked up a 92' Nissan Pathfinder off a good friend of mine. Only bought it as his wife was Making him sell it, so it was a real bargin.

Anyways, me and a few friends went for a cruise around the beach in Wellington NZ, 'red rocks' and also out to Ohariu Valley. Thought it might give you guys over in Europe a few pics of what NZ is like. was a pretty warm weekend. We also managed to get stuck in the sand at 3am, had a massive bonfire & pretty much had a good time.

Ok lol.. I'll get some picture up tonight :). LOL, I just realised as i was writing this that im on the work computer and the pics are on the home PC.

Laurence.

2. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Here's the first lot of pics.

1) in the mud (right after we cleaned the 4x4, lol
    2) Todd, Me & Liam
    3) Liam & Me with the 4x4 at the top of the fire track we followed
    4) View from the top of Ohariu Valley, Wellington, NZ
    5) Looking down Ohariu Valley towards the ocean

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  3. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

6) another pic of the 4x4 in the mud.

I have a few vids i'll try and get posted up in the next few days. have to size them down. also have a few other pics which i'll have to size down tonight (to fit).

Laurence.

Attached Files:

4. Kiwibloke

Kiwibloke Member

Lets us know how you get on with the M3 in mud :)

5. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Hi Laurence, Wow what a nice country awesome view. I never thought NZ is that beautiful. You guys look like you had loads of fun in the new ride.
    Did you get wet feet ? :) So people don't mind when you buzz around there ?

Cheers Thomas

6. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Haha.. must be a tui joke, lol. The only mud i'll see with ther M3 is puddles on the motorway :).

Was hoping to get the m3 back in a few weeks but we've had a delay with a few things so might not get it back until Oct/Nov now. will keep you posted how i get on.

Laurence.

7. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Hey thomas,

The track around red Rocks is a public 4x4 road (apart from 9am-6pm Sunday when it is closed for walking only). The big mud puddle was part of a track next to the motorway up by Upper hutt, Wellington (30mins nth of the city).

There are a lot of private roads as well. Normallyyou get permission from council or the land owners if you call them in advance, and, provided you don't leave rubbish, stay off the sand dunes etc. But it's an amazing place!!!. It's a bit surreal being able to drive,literally, 15mins out of town and be on the coast, away from cell phone coverage & houses. makes for a nice break away :)

Im planning on gong out this weekend and will try to get a few more pics. Didn't have a chance to take too many shots as i was busy driving.
    Am weighing up if i buy myself a Digital SLR for my B-Day today. Have wanted to get back into photography for a while now.

Have a few more pics i'll get up this weekend too :D

Laurence.

8. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Haha, I also felt a bit stink taking the 4x4 in for a warrent & rego yesterday morning as I couldn't get the engine bay completely clean from all the mud we went through (hopefully they steam clean it for me :D)

Laurence.

9. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Argh, I hate getting WOF's (warrents) on cars.
    Then paying 6 months registration on top!!! Lol, some places are money hunrgy i tell ya.

So anyways, the 4x4 needed 4 manifold bolts replacing (a common fault on the v6 3.0l pathfinder), r/h door hinge replacing, f/r wheel bearing tightening, steering box tightening, new anti freeze, oil etc, 6 spark plugs & a few light bulbs.

As long as it runs sweet from now on i'll be happy:) Overall it's worked out at to be a good deal as i practially stole the car when i bought it from my friend.. (and was in the know what it needed to get a WOF as it had failed when he tried to get it done last month so we both knew what it needed to have done).

Im planning to take it for another run this weekend so will get some more pics up probably Sunday after my paintball tournament :D:D:D

Laurence.

10. oscar

oscar Active Member

Laurence will back me up here .. I am sure...that is just a bit of our rough terrain.

We have absolutely spectacular scenery...I kid you not. It is comparable with ANYTHING in this world.

Thing is...as Laurence is showing here...in this Country you can literally drive off with your mates for about half an hour or so and then take a wild track somewhere...

Very cool...;)

11. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Indeed its cool. There are a few places like that in Germany that I know of. :)
    But here in Florida it's all flat no mountains or twisty roads, gets boring after a while. I just spent some time in California, let me tell you it's very nice over there they have it all too. You can go to the beach then drive a few hours and go skiing all in one day. I could see myself living in California ;)

Thomas

12. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

yep!! it's pretty cool being able to literally leave home and be in the bush within half an hour, but still be so close to the city!

I had another cool weekend out at the beach, didn't manage any pics this time but i've got a cool road trip planed for the end of Oct.
    Heading to Castlepoint with a few mated for a weekend of fishing & drinking :)

Just installed some spotlights on the 4x4 to help me see better though. Can't go getting stuck in the sand all the time :p

Laurence.