<WTB> N45 out of the 320si

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by ///M_US_E30, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ///M_US_E30

///M_US_E30 Member

Can anyone in europe source an N45 from the 320si in the junkyards? I am wondering what they are going for? You can get a reman from the dealer for 4500euro without accessories. Do any of the diesel cranks fit to stroke them?

T

2. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

I thought about building up a race version of this engine some time ago. Im guessing that is what your idea is behind this enquiry. As a 2.0l, the 280 hp it makes is quite reliable.

I believe the street version is running the variable valve control and the intake manifold allows different length runners. I dont think either of these are suitable on a race engine. The VVT doesnt allow enough valve lift (currently max 10 mm) and it is too slow in terms of response. Also, max rpms are limited. AFAIK, the race version uses finger followers (havent seen it in person so Im not 100% sure). The race motor is called the P45 and it does not have much in common with the N45. They go for around 54000 euro.

John

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

54,000 Euro John ?!! :eek::eek::eek:

What the heck has that engine got in it ?

4. ///M_US_E30

///M_US_E30 Member

Very recent R&D that they need to recover from.

John, I am still interested in one from a wrecked car. I would like to know what they would go for.

T

5. John

not sure why that should be shocking. it is a full on works race motor done right, no half ass business going on. When they sell you a lightened crank, just to give you an example, you can bet that it will work. Whereas when some shop sells you a lightened crank, it may look pretty, but you dont know how long it will last or if it will grenade the rest of your engine. Many reasons for that, and we can get into why that is so if interested. I wont name names, but I will say that IMO few shops have real engineering expertise to work on cranks, yet so many of them sell them. Im using the word "engineer" in the design sense, that means the well paid guys who make all the calculations, do the implementation and testing, the people who do actual R&D. Im not talking about technicians also called "engineers" in some countries.

BTW, P52 and P54 engines (ETCC series) cost more. Some of the race motors cost upwards of 75k euro. Full on S14 race motors (all BMW sourced parts only) are 40k euro and upwards. A hill climb S14 can cost 50k+. It is all a matter of "what is in there".

its still interesting though, not only in 1986 did BMW leave 6 cylinders to run 4 cylinder race motor, also again in the current WTCC. In a restricted class, the 4 cylinder offers atleast the same power with less moving parts, lower weight and more compact design allowing better placement of weight in the chassis. Unless there is a RPM limit, I dont see where the 6 cylinder race motor of same displacement is going to beat it. My understanding is only when the bore sizes get very large that the inefficiencies so introduced warrent use of more cylinders, and thats not an issue in low displacement classes. Im not too familiar with WTCC rules so perhaps Ive missed something, but unless I got it wrong, BMW again sends the message that light weight and compactness in engines have priority over power (atleast within reason), so you can even afford to be down a few hp if you have the better packaging. The handling, turn in response & better grip will make up for it.

John

6. John

Ill have a look around. There is a guy I know here who gets all kinds of stuff from BMW (new stuff) like chassis, suspensions, wheels, engines, transmissions even whole cars that are not suitable for resale thru BMW.

you would have to figure out shipment yourself.

John