Track Day in my back yard (Castle Combe)

Discussion in 'Track Days and Meets' started by ShepsEvo3, Jul 15, 2010.

1. ShepsEvo3

ShepsEvo3 Member

Not an M3 nor marque meet, just a Classic Car track day at Castle Combe just behind my garage a few weeks ago. The car is an ex Themes Valley police Vauxhall Senator 24v with very long legged gear ratios which hinder it out of the chicanes hence why I was pretty aggressive over the curbs through them. First time I've ever driven that car and I've not driven on a circuit in atleast 4 years so was a tad rusty.. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the session and was just starting to get into my stride towards the end, shame the chequard flag came out and we were not allowed to overtake in the braking areas or corners.

It's not a bad video if I do say so myself lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXT5rQ7kdLk

What do you think?

Paul :)

2. TCB

TCB Member

I would have been giving that Vx a friendly tap Paul ;)

3. ShepsEvo3

ShepsEvo3 Member

Clive, lol yeah, the thought went through my mind, but it's not the done thing on a regular track day lol... If overtaking was allowed in the braking areas and the corners, I would have been much further down the road ;)

It also went through my mind what they were like as drivers, but it was pretty clear after a couple of laps that they could handle thier cars reasonably well, so we were able to get quite close without the worry of someone doing something stupid.

4. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

The guy next to you, was that an instructor ?

Thomas

5. ShepsEvo3

ShepsEvo3 Member

No, that was the car's owner... Why mate?

6. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Nice vid. You did get into your stride toward the end once the slow guys got out of your way.

in one section it looks like all the cars are floating on their suspensions (and some even bounce up and down a bit), im sure its the track and perhaps most of the cars being on stock / street suspension?

there were not many places to pass. didnt look like anyone gave you a point by.

one day Ill do a UK track vacation and try to hit as many tracks as I can in a 4 week period :)

John

7. ShepsEvo3

ShepsEvo3 Member

John, sure most cars are road spec, the 328i Sport and VX 200 certainly were. We are allowed Toyo 888's but not slicks on that particular day. The Senator I drove had different springs and Bilstein dampers, but they are road spec really. Castle Combe is pretty bumpy ;o)

I needed a few more sessions to nail the rise/left corner (Avon Rise) after the pit straight and the right hander (Quarry) afterwards, I reckon there is another second atleast to come out of my time there, also there are a few corners I can see I've turned in too late on and another I used the racing line which the Senator didn't need to, just made the track longer.

This circuit is worth a visit John, I'd be very happy to meet you here, however the circuit is unforgiving in thet there is not much run off before you hit the barriers, having said that, the 'Ring is much the same as that isn't it :)

Paul.