nikasil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JulienM3, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JulienM3

JulienM3 Member Forum Supporter

Hello guys,

I'm looking for info on nikasil treatment.

I think make this type of treatment on my s14,

what advice you have about this type of treatment on the engine block

2. stevesingo

stevesingo Moderator Staff Member Forum Supporter

3. conrod

conrod Active Member Forum Supporter

Julien,

My understanding is that Nikasil is used primarily as a hard coating so that a piston can run in an aluminium block without the use of liners. Why would you want to coat an iron block?

Conrad

4. JulienM3

JulienM3 Member Forum Supporter

the manufacturer of this type of coating, claiming that the life of the piston is multiplied by 2 with this kind of coating, reduced wear of pistons and cylinders less ovalization.

I learn to reduce wear of pistons, cylinder. I did not know that this treatment was only on the aluminum cylinder

5. Rocket M3

Rocket M3 Member

My understanding is the same as Conrad, used in aluminium block with liners. Also the reason many BMW 6 cylinder engines failed in US and UK in early 90's since we were using high sulphur fuel at that time which caused the nikasil to fail...

Here's some good info on the process/history:

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/nikasil.htm

6. kons

kons Member

It isn't: from my knowledge Porsche Motorsport is treating the racing blocks with nikasil. With the appropriate rings you are supposed to get less friction and less wear.

Konstantin

7. conrod

conrod Active Member Forum Supporter

Porsche blocks are usually aluminium are they not?

Conrad

8. kons

kons Member

Not the motorsports ones, as well as the GTs and the turbos, which are all still based on the famous cast iron "Mezger-Block"

Konstantin

9. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

on the S65 motor (current M3), Mahle adressed the problem of running alu pistons in an alu block by using an iron particle coating on the piston skirts.

John