Group buy: Arrow conrods

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by adwo, Dec 20, 2006.

1. rewilfert

rewilfert Member

Adwo,

I ran across an old email from Tony at VAC concerning the Arrow rods they sell. I guess they use M10 instead of S14 rod bearings. This was from 2004 and I'm not sure if they still make them like this, but I just figured I'd bring it up in case anyone wasn't aware. Not sure if it makes any difference or not.

Robert

From Tony at VAC:

The Arrow S14 rods use the M10 bearings. That is how Arrow originally designed them and we left it that way because the M10 rod bearings are readily available at competitive prices. The Glyco or Kolbenschmidt aftermarket rod bearings seem to hold consistency better than the OEM bearings. That is at least true for all the bearings which were checked in-house with a bearing micrometer. The S14 bearings really do not give a performance or reliability advantage over the M10 bearings. We have run the Arrow rods with this configuration in engines up to 9500 RPM without any issues.

If there is enough interest, we can have Arrow rods made for the S14 bearings. Keep in mind, we are the main importer for Arrow rods in the USA and exclusive importer for Arrow BMW rods in the USA.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

IIRC, the only difference with the M10 bearings is that the locating tangs are wider. Some say this does a better job of preventing spun bearings. Some even modify stock S14 rods to accept the M10 bearings as a service. I don't have a problem with it either way.

I would like to know if there are any bolt options available.

Cheers,
    Jake

3. Dietrich

Dietrich Member

I'm running the Arrows (with M10 bearings) and couldn't be happier. I think the M10 bearing thing is a non-issue. The tang on the M10 bearing is larger than the S14 bearing which might make it a tiny bit less likely to spin than an S14 bearing. OTOH, if your rod bearings are under pressure to spin, you've already got problems so I'm sure its not an advantage in the real world. I personally believe that going to aftermarket rods in the S14 should be a priority during a rebuild - I don't think stock rods are really up to the task in extreme conditions. I know some will disagree.

Adwo - any chance at adding shim under bits to the GB?

Thanks,
    -Dietrich

4. adwo

adwo Member

Guys,

Just spoke to Tony at VAC. We can add the shim under kit consisting out of 16 cam followers and 16 lash caps.. Please add your name if you are interested to the list below.

Options on the rods are:
    - ARP bolts, adds $20 per bolt
    - upgraded bronze small end bushings, adds $10 per rod

According to Tony this is not really necessary..

The S14 bearings are being used now instead of the M10's...

Regards,

Adwo

5. adwo

adwo Member

PARTICIPANTS:

Rods:
    1. Adwo
    2. Manu
    3. Jake

Shim under:
    1. Adwo

6. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

The Arrow rods come with ARP bolts. They also recommend a stretch gauge for the install.

Thomas

7. rewilfert

rewilfert Member

According to the Arrow website, the rods already come with ARP bolts. Not sure why Tony would say it's an additional $20 per bolt. Unless the Arrow rods he sells use something different?

How much for the shim under kit?

Thanks,
    Robert

8. rewilfert

rewilfert Member

And are the shim under kits designed for use with stock cams?

Thanks again!
    Robert

9. Dietrich

Dietrich Member

My Arrows (bought from VAC) came with ARP bolts. Perhaps an uprated ARP bolt???

+1 for prices on the shim under kit.

-Dietrich

10. adwo

adwo Member

These are the top of the line ARP bolts, I think it's called the professional series?

Pricing on the shim under kit will follow shortly, first need to know how many people are interested. You can always back out of the shims if you do not like the price quoted.

When you sign up for the rods I expect somebody to actually buy them because pricing is known...

You can use the shim unders with regular cams, but why would you invest in something that has very limited use in an engine revving to max 7800 rpm?

Regards,

Adwo

11. adwo

adwo Member

PARTICIPANTS:

Rods:
    1. Adwo
    2. Manu
    3. Jake

Shim under:
    1. Adwo
    2. Dietrich

12. M3 Adjuster

M3 Adjuster Member

I am interested in the shim under bucket pricing..

PARTICIPANTS:

Rods:
    1. Adwo
    2. Manu
    3. Jake

Shim under:
    1. Adwo
    2. Dietrich
    3. M3 Adjuster

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

I'd like to get in on shim under buckets too but I haven't decided on the valvetrain yet. I think Arrow does 3 different sizes depending on cams and valves.

Jake

14. adwo

adwo Member

Guys,

We are putting the 2 GB's for VAC stuff together: the rods, shims, et cetera and the crank pulley set.

I am in contact with Jake to decide how to run this. Details will follow shortly!

Regards,

Adwo

15. adwo

adwo Member

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

Ok, I just got off the phone with VAC. The end GB price on the Arrow rods is $280ea. If you're in the US you can place your order now. If you live anywhere else please contact me to work out payment and shipping. My email is bmwe30m3lover at aol.com.

Just a heads up on international shipping. I'd prefer to collect payment for the orders first but hold off on the shipping charges. Once everything arrives and is ready to ship I'll get quotes and let you know what your actual shipping cost is. This way you don't get over charged and the shipping costs are covered.

I'd like to have all orders and payments completed by the 9th to coincide with the pulley kit GB. This will allow everything to be shipped together which will certainly save a little on shipping.

Cheers,
    Jake

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

Ok guys. We're getting close. This is just a nervous reminder; I cannot cover your order if I haven't received payment. Even if you were my own mother, there's just not enough in my bank account to cover you. So please be sure to have all payments in by Friday. This pertains to the UK/European orders only as US orders are being handled by VAC directly.

Regardless of your intended commitment to the GB, if you're payment hasn't been received by this Friday (the 9th) you will not be included. You'll still have the option of calling VAC direct and placing your order individually, and while you can still get the GB price it will be shipped directly to you at normal international shipping rates.

I appreciate your understanding,
    Jake

18. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Jake spent all his money on the 320 is :)

Thomas

19. Jake

Jake Active Member

:42: I tell ya, it's sure getting close. The cost difference between something almost ready and something really ready is shocking! The 320is project is progressing faster than my wallet can beath. :28:

Jake

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

Just a quick update. We are waiting on 2 payments but otherwise we're all set. The UK/Euro order will be put in next week. I'll post here when the order goes though.

Cheers,
    Jake