Fuel cell/tank buy

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by 215m3, Jan 7, 2007.

1. karlp

karlp Member

Well I am interested.

karl

2. 215m3

215m3 Member

email sent

3. 215m3

215m3 Member

I'm planning toorder in the next couple of weeks if anyone else is interested?

4. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Toby, did you find out if it's approved? There is a chap in Germany looking for a fuel cell, but it must be FIA approved

5. 215m3

215m3 Member

I will call the guy on monday to find out

6. ptr997

ptr997 Member

Fuel Cell

Hi Toby
    I would also like to know if the tank will be FIA date stamped prior to final decision...Thanks Peter

7. 215m3

215m3 Member

RE: Fuel Cell

ok

8. 215m3

215m3 Member

I have spoken to the MSA this morning. If the tank is for use within the UK then it does not need to FIA approved. Pro Alloy have also stated the alloy tanks to not have to be approved or date stamped, only bags do.

Also as it is an alloy tank it does need to be date stamped or have to be approved by the FIA, no ally tanks need this. All it needs to be is separated from the passenger compartment.

Bag tanks, however require to be FIA approved and date stamped, because the material is more prone to damage/wear.

I hope that is of some use. If you require further info you can call the MSA on 01753 76500 and i just asked to speak with someone regarding fuel cells. He did ask what series i intended to race in. i said i was not entering any at the moment.

He als advised me to che section 253 on the FIA website. I can't find this section though.

I hope this is of some use.

9. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

Thanks Toby. I will forward this.

10. 215m3

215m3 Member

Another point i have just obtained from Pro Alloy.

An alloy tank is fine in the lesser expensive championships. As long as the class does not stipulate the car needs a FT3 approved tank - this is a bag tank then the alloy one is fine. Also the alloy tank needs a metalic fire wall as well. This could be the panel that is between the rear of the compartment and the boot. Most cars have this baulkhead wall anyway.

I think that is everything. Pro Alloy have been very helpful and have said if they can be of anymore help then to just call them. Alex is the chap i have spoken to.

One last thing the alloy tanks do not date and therefore do not need replacing after 5 years unlike the bag tank, though the bag tank can have it's life extended by upto 2 years if it's in good enough condition.

Uwe having found this out the bag tank on ebay you saw may not have been any use.

11. Demlotcrew

Demlotcrew Well-Known Member Forum Supporter

What will you do exactly? Just plug the holes on the rack?

Andrew

12. 215m3

215m3 Member

One could fill the system with fluid and pipe between the to fitments

I plan to replace it with a 316i rack. i believe it is less turns. Marcus knows which rack it is i just need to get the details from him

13. Demlotcrew

The problem is that you cannot just 'plug' or 'loop' a power rack, its not designed for this and will fail in quite a spectacular way (the splined section of the pinion shaft will fracture off meaning that there will be no physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack)

Im getting technical data on how long it would take to brake a E30 M3 rack.

Andrew

14. 215m3

215m3 Member

I had heard this was an option.

well the 316 rack it is then

15. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

this was discussed not long ago on S14.net and dismissed as not true. Many many E30 M3 are running like this. Have you personally seen one cracking?

16. Demlotcrew

Uwe i was under the same impression, but since being advised by a ZF technician of the possible(probable) failure im now not taking the risk and i feel it would be very negligent if i dont tell others.

Like i said hes getting back to me with technical data.

Andrew

17. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

I wonder what technical data that will be? How will you "explain" it that it will break? If somebody has field experience and actually came across broken one's I would belive it. don't get me wrong, I am not playing this down, it's just the fact that taking the servo off the rack has been done so many time (in different countries!) and nobody has reported a broken rack.

18. karlp

karlp Member

There is a thread on S14.net about this and the rack still seems to be going strong.

Karl

19. The Gorilla

The Gorilla Active Member Forum Supporter

Hi,

I am confused on the Rack Issues.

This subject has been done to death, on other forums, and the conclusuions
    were pretty conclusive.

Fastest Rack for the E30 M3 is the Z3 Coupe 54mm revs @ 2.7 lock to lock

Next was the E36 M3 Evo at 50mm revs @ 3.0 lock to lock

Followed by the original E30 M3 Rack and down to the E30 Manual
    at 4.0 something lock to lock.

There is no company in the UK that has the tools to convert a E30 Manual
    to a higher ratio. V Rack verses the 'U' Rack problem.

TAS Motorsport use to offer a Kwik Rack Upgrade for the E30 but I believe
    that some of the parts were based on the E21 Rack ?
    They are no longer in existince but some of their parts are around, somewhere?

Talbot Sunbeam Manual Rack LHD turned upside down, and end for end gave a
    2.4 Manual Rack that could be made to fit the E30, and was used by some guys
    in the Rallying world.
    For most E30 M3 you need a RHD Talbot Sunbeam Rack, to start with, best of luck !!!

Converting Power Racks to Manual is fine, if done correctly, not just taking off the
    pipes and plugging the holes though.

If you want Manual Steering at 2.4 lock to lock, open your Wallet contact Roger
    at Muzzi and part with 1500 euros, very simple if a little painful.

On the 'Thread' Fuel Cell, I notice that the design incorporates a 'cell sump' which
    I am guessing sits around 50-75mm lower than the cell/ tank bottom ?

Where in the car does the cell sit please ?

Regards,

The Gorilla.

20. 215m3

215m3 Member

By means of the cell sump, do you mean the collection tank?

If so it is located on the floor of the cell with one way valves. It sits at the back so fuel is forced into it under hard acceleration.

along these lines

[​IMG]