FS 2.3l crank and Block

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by Demlotcrew, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Demlotcrew

Demlotcrew Well-Known Member Forum Supporter

Guys with the current change in plans im looking to let these two items go.

The crank comes with brand new shells from BMW and has no wear at all!

The block is from a 60k Evo II which as you can see in a good condition with a rehone and no rust issues etc.

Also Brand new SE 2.5l pistons for sale very shortly!

Items located west of Cambridge and any inspections welcome :)

Offers please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My number 0771 3629896

Thanks

Andrew

2. DawieM3

DawieM3 Member

may be intrestred in the block ?

What sort of numbers are you looking for?

Regards,

dave

3. Demlotcrew

Dave PM me an offer with what you think is fair?

Andrew

4. rewilfert

rewilfert Member

Andrew,

Is the crankshaft new or used? Do you know what the bearing sizes are?

Thanks,
    Robert

5. Demlotcrew

Hi Robert,

The crank is used but has been measured up and has no wear at all! (55mm) The shells are stock in size and were bought from BMW i can take some close up pics?

Also any inspection welcome as i know how important these components are.

Thanks

Andrew

6. DawieM3

DawieM3 Member

Hello Andrew,

55mm is a strange size, can you confirm that this is correct and how you measured this.

Regards,

Dave

7. Demlotcrew

Dave that's the shell size taken from the etk not crank. I can measure the Crank with the new shells and plasti gauge. But I had a enginering company who did the work on the block to check the crank. I was told that I would have to order stock size shells as the crank is not worn. That was about four years ago when I didn't have the confidence to do this sort of thing. Are you looking at getting both?

8. DawieM3

DawieM3 Member

Hello Andrew,

I would have still measured the crank anyway myself, before just buying shells based on ETK. 55mm looked strange when I read your post hence the question of how you derived at the figure. Was just curious.

I already have a spare 2.3L crank, and have just aquired another one along with a std S14 2.3 block for £112.00. Not bad hey ! That also included two rods, 2 x pistons, oil pump, rear seal cover and oil filter take off.

Were you looking around this value for your block only?

Regards,

Dave

9. Demlotcrew

Dave,

I didnt 'just' order the shells without any idea of what i was doing. The crank was measured and as a result the stock size (55mm) shells were ordered as those were the correct ones to match the condition of the crank.

Like i say alot has changed in four years!

That was very lucky for you to find a block with all those parts for £112 but TBH the block and crank is worth more in scrap metal :) . I would imagine that the block and crank you have is shot? Or was it just a lucky find? As why else would anyone rob parts off it?

10. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Dave I just looked at the HTK not sure what the problem is with the size they are listed as 55.00 mm red/ blue
    1st size over is listed at 54.75 mm red/blue 2nd size over 54.50 mm etc. etc.

Thomas

11. DawieM3

DawieM3 Member

Thomas,

No problem, but a crank that has been used for many miles will show some wear, and just wondered how it was measured, and how the out of round was determined, as that determines if it can simply be re shelled, as in this case or if in need to be re ground.

Still at this stage, fact remains the actual crank sizes are still unknown, and presumed to be standard/ acceptable, based on machine shop sayso from 4 years ago. Andrew, has admitted his knowledge back then was limited ( Still is - only a Joke ) and may fare better with his sale if he confirmed the actual sizes. It only takes one journal to be out of round for the standard shells to be considered not fit for purpose, and then we have the big ends as well. Are they standard?

Andrew,

I take it you don`t accept my offer, my block may be shot as intimated, and it may not, just depends what its going to be used for. For £112.00 for all the part parts, I can always weigh it in and make some money on it, and have two pistons and rods to make hard luck trophys. Bonus.

Good luck with your sale.

Regards,

Dave

12. Demlotcrew

Dave im not really sure what you are getting at. This is a genuine sale, i have waiting for me at BMW a new SE crank and block which makes this block and crank no use to me! What am i going to do with three engines and two cars?
    This pair is up for sale because i have two spare short blocks, this one and another (which has not been verified as fit for sale) this block and crank was tested because it was going to be used in a FI S14 i have been working on but as i have changed a few goal posts its no longer any use to me. Now what would you have me do, sell the tested/verified block and crank or the other which for all i know might have 'one out of round' big end?

I dont understand why you think that its not possible for a crank thats only done 60k km from a two owner car and a full service history not to be in spec? If you have a look at Jakes 320is which has done 143k km and i quote "New Rod bearings/bolts (genuine BMW) (no defects found with original bearings/bolts)" he did all the checks and all came back clear, now whats different about a professional giving me the same answer? Im going to get in contact with the shop that did all the checks tomorrow and ill find out exactly what they did to check the condition of the crank. (To fare better my sale if anything)

As far as i am aware no offer was put forward to me, im not into riddles if you want to make an offer do so straight up. Now Do You actually think that offering me £112 for a block thats had a full rehone and is in excellent condition fair? When not that long ago you were trying to off load a duff alpina M20 block with five pistons for four times as much and when people were making an offer you just ignored the bid and showed no flexibility on price even tho you were not providing any form of conformation on how good the actual parts were except that you bought a short block for spares, picked the best of the bunch then decided to sell the rest hopping that who ever buys it wont know the difference? Or was that a hard luck trophy too?

Now why am i getting such a hard time when im selling a part thats been tested and verified (for the last time-by a pro) and comes with brand new BMW bearings?

Thanks for your well wishing but I think your input in this thread has probably cost me this sale!

:)

13. oscar

oscar Active Member

Well, the way that I see it here is as follows :

Andrew is selling something(s).

If you want to buy it then ask questions...i.e. don't be having a brawl :mad:

If you have misgivings ...or moreover, some sort of personal grievience...then sort it out off line.

Please do not use this forum as a means to have a fist-e-cuffs at our readers expense...capiche ?

Now..is the product suitable or not ? Yes or no ?

If not...then leave it alone and maybe it will sell to someone else..

14. Demlotcrew

As per recommendation i think that a fair asking price for the two items would be;

£300 for the Block
    £200 for the crank and New Shells

Andrew

15. pnewbold

pnewbold Member

Andrew I would be willing to pay £400 straight away as my best price please if this is not enough I will understand and don't be offended but this is what I am willing to pay. I am only half an hour away and could collect to suit you please contact me I have sent a pm with my details Thanks.

16. Demlotcrew

Sold to Paul!

Andrew

17. DawieM3

DawieM3 Member

Hello Andrew,

Sorry, Ive been away for a few days and not on the forum.

Glad you have sold your block and crank, so I have not cost you a sale, as you made out. All I orginally asked was how U had ,measured the crank, which to this day have still not answered.

Regarding the alpina block and crank I did sell, of which the buyer was very happy with, I think you have mis represented the facts, but not to worry as I`m sure we will meet up in the future and I will continue this off line, with you.

All the best,

Regards,

Dave