DIY suspension

Discussion in 'Track Days and Meets' started by UweM3, May 4, 2008.

1. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

I know some of you think I am cheap :D but I just can't stop tinkering (and save a few £££ in the process hopefully) and I like when I can tailor things in the way I like them.

This is my second attempt to convert some struts to adjustable and I have learned a lot at the first time. I am fully aware that this may end up in tears and I have to fork out more money to get some new springs for the stock struts (to match the Grp N spec Bilsteins I have used for this setup). I didn't just mix'n'match components out of the blue and hope everything works as hoped. Next weekend will be the proof.....

I also fitted some TREEHOUSE lollipops. Spring rates are 140N front and 180N rear I am not quite finished with the rear setup, it's either to low or too high. Will have to make some more cheapo parts to get it how I want it :D

I had a quick dash round my favorite bends and it didn't feel bad, but that means nothing. A new set of Dunlop DZ02 went on my 8x16 BBS aswell.

Here we go:

Bought threaded sleeves and platforms of GAZ in UK and springs from KW Germany.

sleeve welded on strut
    [​IMG]

finished struts
    [​IMG]

old vers new
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

made a solid top mount as well. (this is only a first prototype)
    [​IMG]

mount with loads of neg camber
    [​IMG]

in the car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] finished!!
    [​IMG]

2. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Looks good Uwe as always nice job. Will you be selling the top mounts ?

Thomas

3. Dave 215DMX

Dave 215DMX Active Member

Looks really good Uwe, well done. Hope they work as planned.

Did you cut down the height of the 'tube' at all?

4. Demlotcrew

Demlotcrew Well-Known Member Forum Supporter

You cant with normal height damper.

5. empty

empty Member

Nicely done Uwe!

Mike

6. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Great job, mate!

7. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

that's correct. I have not cut the strut.

8. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

thanks. I just hope it works :D

9. Dave 215DMX

Dave 215DMX Active Member

I was referencing this pic of the GrpN strut compared the the std one, you can quite clearly see it is shorter. I guess there must be different versions of the insert.

[​IMG]

10. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

That's a threaded strut Dave. Inserts are different

11. jani.autio

jani.autio Member

I have almost same kind of setup (home made convert struts to adjustable). I have 100kg/120mm main springs and 30kg/80mm tenders.
    So I have tender spring bottom and main spring top, because ring between them will hit top of strut very easily.

Hopefully I get my new shock absorbers later in this week, so I can take some photos of my setup.

Sorry about my bad english, but hope that you got a point of what I'm trying to explain :)

PS. Uwe : How long your main spring is ?

12. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

main spring is 140mm my friend. Helper is 80mm and 10N. I was thinking that 120mm would be long enough, but if I can run 140mm I will.

13. TR-Spider

TR-Spider Member Forum Supporter

So Uwe,

how did the new setup work on the ring, are you satisfied with it?
    How is the balance with the 140/180 N/mm springs and what rollbars do you use?

Thomas

14. UweM3

UweM3 Active Member

It worked quite well actually! I will have to add a bump stop at the rear because the springs showed signs of coil binding, but it handled very good!
    On many bends I have been a whole car width closer to the inside curb than cars I followed. I.E. I can drive the 180 deg before Karusell almost completly close to the inside curb with the throttle flat on the floor (just a slight lift for the bump in the middle). Not that it makes sense to drive that line, but I can if I want too. Or going round the outside of cars in Bruennchen2 was possible without fear of loosing the car. I am quite happy with the handling, saved a few £££ and had fun making/designing the parts. Also top mounts worked without a hitch, may consider making a small run if there's interest.

I am going back end of June for the S14 meeting, please say hello if you are around. I am happy to take you round if the passenger seat is vacant

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  15. Artik

Artik Member

Wow

great, Uwe!