Sport Evo @ Work

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Kiko, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

This was her first outing on the track after the restoration. She held up like a star and the only glitch was the rear subframe right hand side nut that came loose, easy to fix.

Pmartins came from Lisbon (360kms away) and joined me, he then took the wheel for his first time on the track! The first of many I think...

Needless to say she was the fastest car on the track...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S.1 I have a small video of the car passing the main straight but I need help to host it here...

P.S.2 I posted on the wrong sub-forum, pls transfer it to the right forum.

2. pmartins

pmartins Member

Hi Kiko,

First of all Thank you for your hospitality and a very enjoyable weekend. Let me see....

My first time inside an SE,
    My first time driving an SE,
    My first time on the track and with an SE.

What a combination. Despite the freezing morning, I had a great time at the track. I have to thank you for letting me drive your car after you so recently finished your restoration. I must confess that i was a bit nervous, and the idea of scratching the fresh paint didn't help either.

On the way back to Lisbon I was still smiling....

I have realized that I have done probably more kms inside your SE than inside my M3. Something I will have to rectify when mine will be ready.

P.S. The car is stunning inside out. Looks and behaves like new

3. iisback

iisback Member

Nice one Frank. Looks great.

Do you have any high res. pics?

Good to see an SE being used properly. Can I come down and also have a go? :D

4. Sporty1

Sporty1 Active Member

Good to see it in it's natural habitat.

Frank, you may want to get some of this stuff if your planning on some regular track work, Armourfend. I hindsite I should have got it after mine was painted.

5. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Thanks! Sure, no problem. Actually I think there might be an S14power gathering here in the future...

Dev, do you know the price of that?

6. Sporty1

Sporty1 Active Member

Not for the M3, but a friensd had it done on his E46 tourer in 2004, leading edge of the bonnet, lights, leading edges of front wings and bumper and I think it was about £500 (IIRC).

It is not particularly cheap but is resiliant as the front for his car is totally free from stone chips.

7. ixm3

ixm3 Member

FWIW someone in the US mentioned that he was working on making an Armourfend-like product specifically for the E30 M3.
    Happy to keep you informed of this if/when it develops into a finished product.
    -MJ

8. marco

marco Member

I have armourfend or similar on the leading edge of my bonnet and front wings. Cost something like £45.

Cheers,

9. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Really? Where can I buy that kit?

10. G EDP

G EDP New Member

Looking good Kino, loving the stone chip protection! :D

11. I have been in contact with Armourfend in Essex 0208 501 6346. Basically one can order the various sections individually and apply them your self. Or have them come out to you and fit at your premises.

Some of the areas are quite small and the computer cut out's are not large or expensive.

Some bits one may choose not to bother with for eample the wing mirror covers are for standard mirrors and I have fitted Schnitzer ones.

I have ordered:

Leading edge to front wings x 2
    Leading edge to bonnet
    Strip below headlamps
    Front bumper (yet to see how the air ducts work)
    Lower skirt - not sure what this is - could be to do with front wings
    Rear wheel arch - leading lower edge x 2

Including fitting at my premises and including 10% discount as BMW Club member

£282.10 plus vat

I have just had all these areas repainted (the bumper for the third time in 9 years) and car has yet to go back on road I hope it will help keep it looking respectable for much longer.

He suggested not to do headlamps - causes them to overheat.

Also asked how they deal with dead flies - hoping it would make it easier to clean! he said the material has tiny holes so it is important to use soap to soften the bodies then wash them off and in this respect needs more care than paint.

The holes also stop the paint colours fading at different rates.

Alternatively we could all use the fetching scheme used by Kiko on track! - the last time I saw this car was on track at Cadwell Park (without the masking tape) in Lincs and was you will be pleased to know driven quite sedately.

12. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Thanks for the input Richard. The masking tape looks fugly but it's effective that's for sure!

You wouldn't have or know where to find shots of the car in Cadwell or other track?

13. Kiko

I have only ever seen the car at Cadwell as the previous owner was loacallish to that track, but may well have appeared at other circuits best to speak with him - no doubt you have his contact details from the registration dockets.

We had official photographers attend on the day so photos were definately taken of each car, whether they keep negatives (digital equivilent) who knows three years after the event?

I have looked out some old photos of my car on track RB's car is not in the same shot and the photographer was Pete Wileman Photography - if you do a google search he has a few pages which I have checked but only covers 2007 & 08.

I believe the year was 2006 so best to contact him to ask - I tried to ring him and have left a phone message his no: from the UK is 01530 812639, his fax 01530 452136 his email: tddi@me.com.

He catalogues his cars by colour, the event was the BMW Car Club trackday and would have been the 2nd wednesday in May 2006 or possibly 2005

Good Luck!

14. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Well that's what I call a thorough answer! I know the gentleman's name and address but I haven't got an email or contact. If you bump into him somehow pls ask his email. I'd like ask him a question or 2 and I'm sure he'll like to see his car after the restoration.

15. My Brother has a full Armourfend on his car from new. Now at 50K and 9 years old miles it still looks very good and doesn't look out of place - no yellowing , edge peel or any other problems. It has saved a great deal of exposed painwork from stone chipping and has kept the car looking very good. Well worth getting if you've just had a full paint job or even if you have a low miles clean car.

16. Kiko

I would write him a letter as have not seen RB for 3/4 years and have no contact point for him - hopw you get some pics - always nice to have some history - I doubt if he used the car that much - was one of many...

17. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Yes, I will do that! Chris "Waddo" said he had a vast collection of exotica including Ferrari's, etc.

18. marco

marco Member

Kiko,

Re armourfend - will try and find contact details.

Cheers,

19. Sir Syd...

Thanks for that feedback looks like it will do just what I'm looking for....

20. Dibs_h

Dibs_h Member

How easy is it to fit the stuff? I fancy getting some Armourfend, considering what the paint cost for the respray & I don't fancy getting it re-done, if I can help it.

Post up some piccies once you had it fitted Richard.

Cheers

Dibs

edit - just rang them, goes on wet and then is squejee'd (you know what I mean) out. The chap said it was very easy to apply. Will have to get the paintwork "buffed" first & then order the kit. About 160+vat supply only. Probably around £200+vat for an Evo II, including wing mirrors and the snow plough.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009