New member from Minneapolis!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by thull, May 15, 2007.

1. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Hi Rolland so in NZ they keep the cars they impound ? Do they auction the cars off ?
    At the moment they keep the car for ten days and then you can pick it up after paying a hefty fine. you may have to bring a friend if they took your licence.

Wow you guy don't have to have car insurance, did I read this correctly ?
    Well if we are honest we all have been speeding at one time or another I guess the ticket is not getting caught. :)

Thomas

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

A news article I read today said that we have 3.6M vehicles on the road and 1 in 5 is not insured :eek:

3. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

Blame fast and furious and Tokyo Drift ;)

to be classified as a "street racer" does that mean they have to see
    you racing somone or is going much over the speed limit
    sufficient ? Thomas, I guess no more tuning alpha N while doing 130 mph
    on the back road. Even if you are out in Timbuktu.

John

4. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

What do you mean Thomas? I never speed. :)

John

5. Revmaster T

Well it would be interesting to see what the cop says after you explained to him what you are doing. Maybe if you get lucky and the cop is motorhead he might let you off with a warning. I guess that's wishfull thinking :)

Thomas

6. Revmaster T

No comment .....:cool:

Thomas

7. thull

thull Member

I don't have any pictures, really. More or less it is a part of town with a long strip where cars cruise up and down, and park in the side lots.

It used to be a huge deal for the muscle car guys, since the 60s. There are a couple of american style drive-in burger joints, as well as fast food places and auto parts stores lining the streets. People just park in the different lots, usually according to the type of car (domestic, import, euro) as well as sub groupings.

Porky's has the US muscle cars and some of the real no-nonsense gearheads (they like the e30 M3 even though its not a small block chevy lol) People have tubbed-out 66 GTOs with 800hp that are barely able to idle through the lot without launching them through the fence, all the way through brand new Vipers and Ford GTs, although it is more middle class and those cars aren't as prevalent.

There are other lots that have Japanese cars, one lot that is entirely Subaru WRXs, and then it is also seperated by different social groups. There are Asian gangs around, but they don't congregate in the same part of town cause the cops tell em to move on.

Where I was blocked in is the 'VW' lot, mainly cause there are a TON of VW guys in MN. The BMWs, Porsches, etc all gather there because it is the euro thing, but we are way outnumbered by the VWs.

Up til about 99 or 2000 it was a very packed and fun place to be, basically when Fast and Furious came out, it started going downhill. People were introduced to motorsports for the wrong reasons, and the 'ricers' showed up and ruined what was a great thing. Cops drove out everyone, troublemakers and the regulars.

Now it is getting back into the swing of things a little bit. Street racing only takes place away from the area, I am not involved with that like I used to, too many idiots that don't know their equipment or how to use it. Just plain dangerous so I go to the track.

Most of the people that go just go to hang out, they may meet for the racing but they take it outside of town.

8. ///Mark

///Mark New Member

Thull-

I live in Mpls too and would really like to check out your car some time. I'm considering various suspension set-ups and am curious about the Turner J-stock harshness on the street.

Mark

9. thull

thull Member

I could take you for a ride sometime no problem

The J-Stock setup isn't harsh at all, it is actually very well dampened for street use.

Very stiff, but it won't chatter your teeth. I think it is actually ideal for a street car.

What part of Minneapolis are you in?

10. ///Mark

///Mark New Member

Hey-

I'm in NE, right across the river from downtown Mpls. Let me know when you'd be up for that ride! I'm a little worried that you might pass the mod virus on to me, but I'll take my chances.

Mark

11. thull

thull Member

my car is very contagious lol - I've had the mod bug for about 9 years now and it hasn't gotten any better

I live at Intl Market Square so we are very close. My car is out in Plymouth as I only have one garage spot, but I'll probably get it out here in the next week or so.

12. ///Mark

///Mark New Member

Nice. Let me know when a good time for you would be. It's very cool that this site notifies you when someone's responded to your post. I don't think S14.net does that.

Interesting that I live in a renovated loft building too... I guess we both like old-school manufacturing/construction quality of our cars/condos or something.

Mark

13. ///Mark

///Mark New Member

Brian-

I talked to John, a tech at Orr with an e30m3 who said he's met you, and he said he'd like to meet up with us too. That would give me a chance to compare the GC to Turner suspension, not to mention our 2.3s to your 2.5!

Mark

14. thull

thull Member

looks like I need to turn on my email notifications, I didn't even see these replies

Talk about a random meeting, its not everyday you see an e30 M3 in uptown! We'll definitely have to plan to get all the e30s together for a roundup soon. There's a couple of euro clubs that have fall color tours we should maybe get in on.

Later

15. ///Mark

///Mark New Member

I'm glad you flagged me down. Thanks again for the ride. I've got John's number but don't know who else has e30M3s in Mpls. I met a guy at BIR with a 60k DS that was really nice though. Let me know if you plan an e30roundup, and also if you attend any club events.

Mark