Hello from a Merc owner

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Chris Martens, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Chris Martens

Chris Martens New Member

Hello to everybody,

I don't own a M3 and I've never driven one, not yet.

But I own one of the "elder brothers" of the E30 M3, a 190E 2.3-16 built in autumn 1984. So that car is two years older than the oldest M3, but it's mostly forgotten nowadays... While every boy knows the M3, noone remembers the so called "valver".

But I'm not here to cry. ;)

AFAIK S14 and M102.983 (and the later .99x) are very similar from a technical point of view. Unfortunately the Merc engine was / is strangled by the KE / CIS so it was never allowed to show it's full potential that was similar to the S14.

I think that Mercedes never wanted to build a real sports car but they had spend the money for Cosworth to develop that head and now they had to use is somehow. But after 1986 they where glad that BMW came back with the M3 so Stuttgart could continue to build (and sell!) saloons.

Anyway, this is my car, she's called Rosi, a name my father in law gave her. The old girl is 23 years old has 315,000 km on the odometer and is still going strong. First engine, head partly rebuilt some years ago from one of the previous owners, first gearbox (but it's shot :cool:).

Upgraded brakes from EVO II / E500 (brakes are identical) because we occasionally have some fun on the track and the stock brakes are insufficient for that. Rims are 16" from EVO / SL to clear the larger brakes.
    Had the pedal on the metal one day, but it was the middle one :eek: after 15 minutes of fun at the Lausitzring.

Apart from that the car is stock.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

At the left the lady is shown at her 22nd birthday in 2006, the other ones are taken at the 190E 16V gtg at Hockenheim in May 2006.
    At the right it's the old man with his hat, as you'd expect it in a Merc. :)

regards,
    Christian

2. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Hi Chris and welcome :)
    I am sure most members here know the "valver"
    I have a 190E 2.3L 16V even in the same color but mine is a 86 model, unfortunately with a bad engine. Previous owner drove the car thru water and locked up the engine and then let it sit for two weeks :(
    If you know of a good source to find an engine please let me know, thanks.

Cheers Thomas

3. Chris Martens

Chris Martens New Member

Thomas,

thank you for the welcome.

Do you know www.190revolution.net ? If you want a new engine from NA, I would search in that forum.

On the other hand MBGTC (Mercedes Benz Used Parts Sale) still has new and complete engines, they sold some via ebay for 2000 Euro each during the last years... add shipping and customs...
    Some of these engines went to the USA, so again, search on 190revolution.

Lachs is quite the same colour as Rauchsilber (smoke silver) isn't it?

regards,
    Christian

4. mallorcaman

mallorcaman Member

Hello Chris,

You are probably a little surprised by now.......I too have a 190E 2.3-16!

Mine is a 1986 car in smoke silver with manual transmission. It has now covered a massive 82000km since new. When I took it to the Nurburgring in 2006 I was very pleased to see the "Senna" car in the museum there, along with many other significant 190 race cars.

I am a great fan of both the M3 and the Merc, but would also love to have a Sierra Cosworth to complete the hat-trick of, in my opinion, the finest 3 touring cars of my generation.

Thomas, have a look at www.190teile.de

They always seem to have engines.

5. Sporty1

Sporty1 Active Member

I do like those Merc's.... did toy with buying one, a 2.5 about four years ago, but alas only have garage space for the SE....., maybe one day.

6. Rob

Rob Member

welcome ! 190e are my second favorite car from that time ! hehe
    :99:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chris Martens

Chris Martens New Member

What a friendly welcome!
    Thanx a lot.

Haven't seen as many M3s in the valver boards as valvers here at s14power... :p

Thomas, if you don't mind buying parts from Germany Thorsten at 190teile.com is your man for sure. Just tell him I sent you, that won't make parts cheaper for you - but maybe for me next time I'll need him. Just kidding. :D

have fun,
    Christian

8. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

There are 2 black MB running at the Nuerburging regularly, one is an evoII with the tall wing, both have carbon airboxes on them and sound very nice. Interestingly, the owner of one of them said he also owns an e30 m3 (as well as an e46 m3). There are still many M3s running on the Ring, but unfortunately not so many 190 MB. It would be nice to see more and of course if some of the owners would drop in some MB DTM engines in them (even if slightly detuned), those engines are very similar in many respects to the s14 gr. A or DTM engines.

John

9. Old_skool_bmw

Old_skool_bmw Member

Hi Christian,
    Glad to see you on the board here with your Merc.

I also had a 1986 2.3L 16v cosworth. I was on the 190revolution board but unfortunately due to some damage I had to sell the 190e last year. They are nice cars & I'm sure that when you get behind the wheel of their brother (e30 m3) you will be plesantly suprised :)

Cheers,
    Laurence.

10. oscar

oscar Active Member

Yes, nice eh...

I used to own a 2.3-16. Manual, 39,000km's (about 24,000 miles)...near new.
    Absolutely fantastic car. Loved it long time :D

Still...(yawn)...it is a close call, but...the E30M3 is the bizz.

Repeat : THE E30M3 IS THE BIZZ :)