Motorsport 16v (was Is this a original E3 flywheel ?

Discussion in 'Buyer & Seller Feedback' started by Revmaster T, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

Hi all need your opinion please. I have a friend that has bought this used flywheel it was sold to him as a EVO 3 part and FYI it was sold here on our forum. I was going to install it this week for him but after I opened the package I found this :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMO this is not a E3 flywheel if you look at the way its machined , no way this left the BMW machine shop. To me it looks like a stock flywheel that someone machined or had machined to duplicate the E3 wheel.

After telling the seller about the problem and asking for a refund the seller now swears that this is a original E3 flywheel and sort of says that I don't know what I am talking about.
    So since I am not qualified I need your help please :)
    I wont point out any details I let you do that.
    There are more pictures in the gallery if you want to look at them enlarged.

Here are a few pictures of my E3 flywheel which is installed on my gr.A spec engine. This is how a E3 FW should look like IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thomas

2. woton01

woton01 New Member

Yeah, I got screwed!

Thomas,
    Thanks for the post. As you know I just purchased a new EVO III FW from VAC Motorsports (great price BTW)to replace what I consider to be a hack job. I wouldn't put that part in a Yugo........

I suspect I'll never see my $375 so I'm chalking it up to buyer beware. You cam PM me for the details on who I purchased it from.

Cheers,
    Bill

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

Tell him to swap back the crud and pay the money back or Oscar will visit :cool:

4. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

was this purchased from someone on this board or ebay?

John

5. marco

marco Member

Hmm....I'd be curious to know who sold this on.

Cheers,

6. Revmaster T

It was sold from a member here and it was sold on our forum.

Thomas

7. RacerX

RacerX Member

Well, a quick search of the classifieds yielded 2 results.....seems likely.

Cheers.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

That piece of crap looks like it was made by hand with a Dremel tool! How could anybody pass that off as a real Evo flywheel? Bet it would cause some serious vibrations.

IMO, the seller had better make things right with Bill or risk being exposed as a fraud!

Jake

9. John

Hi Bill, have you asked for a refund and you simply return the product to seller? perhaps that person made an honest mistake and didnt know what he was selling. You should request pictures of parts before you buy.

FYI, in the classifieds, if you click on a users name, you can leave negative or positive feedback. click on their profile.

and on the forum here, we have a Buyer&Seller feedback subforum. you can create a thread, title should contain the users name, and leave feedback there.

John

10. Motorsport 16v

Motorsport 16v New Member

What a wonderful welcome. How very nice of all of you to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Here is the thread advertising the flywheel that I bought that is now in question:

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30286

You can see that the seller had a NUMBER of technical parts that should also have quality issues if he is the hack he is alleged to be.

I don't know Robert personally, but he tells me that he is an engine builder and that he has raced E30 M3's in the SCCA in Florida. He seems very honest to me.

I bought the flywheel from him after seeing it advertised on that thread. I ended up not using it as shortly thereafter I found a brand new JB Racing flywheel offered for a good price, so I bought that to use instead.

I have spoken to Robert Stratos twice since hearing from Bill that he had a concern with the flywheel. Having seen these photos, I have e-mailed them over to Robert and he has said he will look at them. He continues to tell me that it IS an Evo flywheel.

This is not my area of expertise, I am a shadetree home mechanic at best, so I respect that there are plenty of you here who are very familiar with all of the parts of these cars. I am waiting for Robert to have a look at the pictures and get back to me. I have also sent him the link to this thread, so hopefully he can have a look at it.

Also, I have provided Robert's telephone number to Bill so that he can talk to him about it.

I do appreciate that John has suggested that this might be an honest mistake. Thank you for your consideration, John.

I will wait to hear back from Robert and we'll proceed from there.

11. John

Not to get mixed in...but if I were to give advice it would be as follows:

I think what Bill wants is to return the flywheel to you for a refund, since he has now bought a brand new flywheel.

given this is a very recent sale, the normal business course of action would be to take a return, and then you settle it with your supplier. or if you prefer, sell it somewhere else.

This flywheel is not BMW quality, its pretty evident to me. Evo flyweels dont have that little piece post welded on either...

John

12. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hi :)

Can I just say that we are not really looking to put the blow torch on anyone. But we are keen on looking after each other and that includes you as a member ;)

When we see dodgey parts we talk about it and we say what we honestly feel. That is a good thing. Imagine if it was you that had a problem and asked for help/ advice here. Of course we are going to comment. And we are not perfect...hell, sometimes we might come on a bit strong or whatever (not often though) ...but one thing you can rely upon is that we are here for our members and we do have genuine intentions in that regard.

Hope it all gets sorted without a fuss. I'm sure it will. And of course, you ARE a welcomed member of our group :87:

13. Revmaster T

Just to follow up on this ! So what does your friend Robert have to say after he has seen all the facts ?
    It would be good to find a quick ending to all this. Put yourself in Bill's position would you want to wait that long ??

Thomas

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

Agreed. What's going on with this Motorsport 16v?

I could see how you may not have known, and so you sold it as what you were told. And I don't mean to be harsh, but that doesn't exempt you from responsibility. You can take it up with Robert for your refund, but Bill's refund should not be dependant on this. If Robert doesn't refund you, are you going to deny Bill? Sorry, you have to take responsibility for this part even if you were unaware of what it actually was.

Jake

15. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hope this is not construed as ganging up here...Jake is entirely correct in his post (above). It may be bad luck but it is not a game of ' pass the parcel '.

16. John

did this get resolved now?

17. Revmaster T

I talked to Bill yesterday and unfortunately the guy has not even made an attempt to make good on it. I think the guy is not considering making good on it. I hope I am wrong here.

Thomas

18. Revmaster T

Please keep this thread clean ! Andrew I have moved your concerns into the Buyers/ Sellers feedback section.

Thomas

19. John

What are the details of "Motorsport 16V" real name etc? Im not familiar with that "handle", does he use the same on other lists?

Can we get Bill to respond here, or is he not a member?

John

20. lars.m3

lars.m3 Member

Motorsport 16V is a handle on S14.net too. I can only assume it's the same guy...