54 mm dual pipe exhaust system

Discussion in 'Classifieds (old)' started by John, May 11, 2007.

1. karlp

karlp Member

John

Any update on the exhaust please.

Karl

2. M-technik-3

M-technik-3 Member

No news? Interested buyer would love to hear some news.

3. rmck

rmck Member

any news about costings yet?without cats...

4. Wld_tony

Wld_tony Member

I also waiting on the price.

5. John

John 2.7l S14 Forum Supporter

This exhaust system is cancelled. We will build a modified version of this
    one over the winter time, I also hope to get better pricing with a new
    exhaust builder. This one was expensive to build. I wanted to get some
    laps on this exhaust, and now that Ive done 100+ laps with it at the Ring
    I want to make a few changes.

John

6. ///M_US_E30

///M_US_E30 Member

Ball park numbers on pricing? With and without cats?

T

7. tkrath

tkrath Member

Hi John,

I need a new exhaust for my M3. It is a non-cat car with a standard non-cat exhaust. The car is in the garage now for the winther. I will buy a new exhaust during the winther. Should I wait for updates from you or should I go for something else?

Thomas

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  8. John

hi Thomas, its up to you wether you want to wait. So far I break just about every exhaust system. It only takes so many laps on the Ring and then you start to have to weld them up again. This includes the KK system (also known as the Koehler motorsport exhaust). Supersprint is even worse. Dont get me wrong, on the street these might be great stuff, but on the track they break. The current 54 mm setup is a lot better in terms of robustness but still not good enough and it is too heavy for my taste.

Perhaps my engine also has a bit to do with it, dont want to just blame it on the track. Anyway, Im going to go further upscale and build something lighter and stronger. To me track time is worth a lot of money, and lost track time equals lost money. Im fed up with losing time.

I also have a new parameter in that the DTM 6 speed (also the 5 speed) gearboxes from getrag do not have header supports. So you dont want a heavy exhaust system hanging off that header. On a stock car you have a support, so that this requirement would not affect you.

John

9. tkrath

tkrath Member

Hi John.

I use my car for trackdays and Nurburgring.

What I am looking for is a exhaust that I can use for my stock engine. However, in future I think that I will buy the CF airbox / Alpha N, but no further upgrades. The exhaust should fit such engine. Also I do not want it to be too laud.

Today, I've read several topics on the exhaust systems available for the M3 and cannot decide which system is the best for my criteria. It seems that the SuperSprint system is too laud. Can you help me?

Thanks
    Thomas

10. John

is your existing exhaust rusted out? otherwise, id just stick with a standard exhaust
    for now. when looking for power gains, generally you look at things other than the exhaust system until you get into "high power S14s". most systems lose power, some only may give you 5 hp and then you have the head ache wether they last or not and they are louder than stock. it is just not worth it IMO (on stock motor). For the same or similar money you can also add cams which will give more hp gain.

according to your previous post, you already have a 50/50 header (noncat variant) and a noncat exhaust system.

John

11. tkrath

tkrath Member

Jep, car is a non-cat -> http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=5504

The existing exhaust has two holes in it. It is tempoary fixed, but now after driving 500 km I can hear it comming again. I think it will have to be replaced during the winther.

Where should I buy it? Can you recomend a shop? I think BMW is a little to expensive (around 1200 EUR here in Denmark for the middle part only!!).

Thanks
    Thomas

12. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

John, any update on this? I'd be looking for a muffled center section no cats... I'm sure there are more people interested.

Can anyone ppoint me out where to have an X-pipe to fit my Scorpion?

13. manuM3

manuM3 Member

Any updates? Sorry for post in this old thread..but i need more information...

14. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

I am trying to talk a friend of mine into building an exhaust system for us. He builds nice exhaust systems and headers for Porsche engines. He is an excellent craftsman.
    If there is enough interest he might consider it. So lets get some people together.
    He is close to Munich/ Unterschleissheim.

Thomas

15. John

Well, talk to him Thomas and if he is interested then maybe I can talk with him about working with me. I want to develop a header for the 2.7l motor and I will have to do the exhaust to match.

I had also thought of another place to do the exhaust in titanium. Im interested in something that is stronger and lighter. The lighter it is, also the less tendency to crack on the Nordschleife [as long as the strength-to-weigth ratio is not compromised].

@Manu, no I didnt do another exhaust system in 2008, instead I worked mostly on the 2.7 S14 project.

John

16. Revmaster T

Revmaster T Member Staff Member Forum Supporter

I will see him this weekend he is visiting Florida at the moment, I'll ask him, I am sure he would like to meet up with you. They also have there own shop where they work on the weekends on there own stuff.
    If you remember I told you about a guy that hangs out with some guys that work at the BMW F1 department. They frequent the Stammtisch once a week. ;)

Thomas

17. John

then I guess I need to be at the stammtisch sometime, I need F1 resources :). if you see him in florida, tell him about our current project.

hmm...F1...s14 with pneumatic valve train... :) (i know...keep dreaming...)

John